View Single Post
Old 18-05-2011, 11:52 PM
DebbyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysaetos
Well all of our food (meat and plants) do not always come from the same place. When you say ''meat-eating diet'' for example, it begs the question what type of meat you are talking about, where it came from, what food did the animal eat.

I'd like to add (not specifically to your post, more in general) that there are lies surrounding environmentalism and the green movement. I know farmers who have their cows inside all year, yet their milk gets the 'organic' label. I know that rice, palm oil, and tea cause deforestation in Asia.. but as long as it is produced without pesticides it gets a friendly label. There are so many examples.I was vegetarian for some years so I can understand the different opinions. It would be boring to have only vegs on this board, wouldn't it?
I'm always interested in discussing the ethics surrounding this subject. Why do we make the choices?
Often we choose specifics.. species A or B we wish to save, but species C and D we ignore. This is inevitable (we have to make choices). I'm interested in the why behind our ethics..

Chrysaetos

You may have been a vegetarian for a few years, but apparently you don't understand a lot of the issues that surround the diet that you have now decided on. The wasting of water, the pesticides and herbicides in food production for animals and their effect on the environment, the poisoning of the environment by the run off from animal operations, the deforestation that is caused to the greatest degree from cattle production in South America, the impact of that destruction on the global environment, the abuse of antibiotics that is affecting the health of our bodies and our ability to fight off disease, the compassionate choice involved in turning over 'grains' to feed the starving masses of third world countries, not to mention the lies involved in the meat industry, i.e. milk is necessary for calcium to prevent osteoporosis and only meat can provide the necessary amount of protein for human health.