View Single Post
Old 20-08-2011, 10:28 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus27
Hello NightSpirit! I'll give my quick thoughts, since I am about to head to bed.

Scientific research doesn't require faith. That's what makes it science, and not religion. the scientific method's purpose is to measure date about the natural world. And using that data to build a theory on how things work; then testing that theory rigorously to ensure it's reflective of reality. In a lot of my observances, the only time people lose "faith" in science is when it challenges their preconceived notions or makes them uncomfortable.
Hmm. Yes. No. Science is a methodology. It's not holy divine writing or a monolith of information that cannot be altered. It's the hammer man uses for the nail that represents the mysteries of the universe - the way things work and interact with one another. Science only gets it wrong, because it's interpreted by people. But due to the nature of the method of science, any bias or misinformation will eventually die off & be buried.
I don't see any real polarity or difference in them. For me, scientific fact is how things work. But our spirituality can help us find meaning in those facts and data. We humans crave meaning and poetry expressed in our worldview and life. Even if we simply get that meaning based off of facts and figures, or through fanciful ideas about the world.

This is the assumption that scientists somehow live in a lofty tower or some-such. The only problem there is that some people are less passionate about figuring out how things work, and why they work the way they do. Scientists are scientists because they, one would hope, have that passion.

I could yap on some more. But I think I will leave it at that for now, heh.

Very well thought out Animus..I found myself nodding my head through that