View Single Post
Old 27-10-2019, 02:36 PM
Ascender
This is an interesting poll since I have been thinking about our social issues related to inadequate parenting.

Before I express my opinion, I am a lifetime career woman who actually starting in doctorate program in few months and has a career plan for the rest of my life. (i.e. I probably will work at some capacity even at my deathbed. )
I am definitely a 200% feminist and a pro-choice.

I never had children;however, many of my friends have children. I had been a child myself obviously.
I wanted to have children of my own but it was never in the cards for me, even when I was married.
This is my soul's chosen life path in this incarnation so I follow my life purpose.

Raising a child, a human being, is a big responsibility and a predestined gift.

I believe in a division of labor/roles in a functioning household to maintain the healthy balance and efficiency.
As a full time+ working woman with on-going continuing education, I can not imagine how I can assume childcare and do additional housework due to having children.

All of my current female colleagues with children have a staying home husband who has been taking care of all of housework and most/all of childcare.
Since they have higher income earning powers than their husbands, their husbands decided to stay home to take care of their children. Big kudos to these guys.
Their children are wonderful and healthy human beings as many of them are now adults entering into higher educations and careers.

Even with my career driven mine set, if I ever was lucky to have a child, I would want either me or my husband to stay home without a question until the child goes to college. - whoever makes less income.

Most of housework can be done by paying others to do them.
But NOT childcare.
Nobody can take care of a child as well as the parent. (as long as the parent is healthy and functioning, of course)
Some people are lucky and have a caring and willing grandparents who can take care of their children full time. But most people do not.

I personally benefited from a staying home mom who forgo her career and worked from home for my dad's business. She paid others to do all housework but she was the primary caregiver for me.
I knew that she had her own professional aspirations and personal life goals. So, I am very grateful that she sacrificed those dreams.

To answer your question.
The working parent should volunteer if he/she has enough energy for physical work of doing the housework and childcare. But it should not be mandatory.
Staying home parent should assume most of the housework and childcare.
However, as far as the income sharing, it must be 50/50 in a marriage, especially with children.- without a question.
In fact, most staying home parents control the finance - paying bills, etc. Budget setting and Investment decision should be made together.