View Single Post
Old 01-01-2020, 08:26 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debrah
I'm sorry, but there are no arguments that support the consumption of eggs.
Debrah, hello and happy new year!

There are many arguments to favour egg consumption, if done small scale. Eggs are nutritious and contain nutrients that you for instance lack on your vegan diet. Humans need some animal food in their diets and without it you are gambling with your health. I won't stop you in your ethics but you seem to think veganism is the answer to both health and environment but it isn't that simple.

Quote:
Just because we have a 'use' for animals doesn't change the fact that they didn't come here for us. They may be born because of us, but they are individuals who have the same needs and feelings that you do.

They feel happy, they love their babies and friends, they become afraid and feel pain and hunger and heat and cold......just like you and I. Their experience of life may be from a different perspective than yours or mine, but they are as aware as any of us. Us having a use for them, ignores their 'beingness' deliberately. And when we ignore that, it becomes easier to ignore their fear and suffering.

Chickens can be taken care of, given plenty of food, a roof over their heads, protection from predators can be done very well. All humans ask in return is eggs, and taking eggs does not reduce age span of hens or give them horrible lives, that's vegan propaganda.

Chickens do not have the same ''feelings'' as I do and only a few same basic needs. All animals (that includes us) are different and have different needs and degrees of feelings and empathy. A human is not the same as a chicken, and a chicken is not the same as a dog. I grew up with chickens and dogs and while I like chickens they're not comparable to the degree a dog bonds with a human or how a dog feels.

People have domesticated animals in the Holocene and have co-evolved with them. Keeping chickens small scale is one of the most environmentally friendly ways to get protein.

Quote:
But they are all myths and the reality is that there is only an ocean of suffering behind those images. Not just my opinion, but the reality as evidenced in thousands of images and testimonials, including from farmers who finally gave it all up and went vegan.

The way we treat animals and use them to our benefit is a case by case matter and not black and white. We all have to settle with a greyish world where we improve animal welfare and don't abandon keeping animals around. Not just for ourselves, but also for our cats and dogs, mind you. Or should we only have rabbit pets and feed them with constant fresh lettuce? (which also has an environmental cost..).

In veganism every animal becomes the same, there is only equality. Why then do you eat food at all may I ask? Buying or eating any type of food will contribute to animals being killed. If it's ''all or nothing'' than you can't eat anything by your own standards I'm afraid.

Last edited by Altair : 01-01-2020 at 09:16 AM.