View Single Post
Old 15-01-2019, 04:37 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
Its all good, and this subject of getting in touch with actual hunger and being full is the most important aspect of having a healthy relationship with food, but the reason I don't usually promote it is a lot of people, most people, have social conditioning and cravings for unhealthy food like donuts, maccas, chips, icecream, grog, cola and so on, due to life long advertising and just living 'normally'.

If you follow the 'body acceptance movement' there are many harmful messages such as 'eat what you want' because they have distorted views on loving your body which is often seen as 'giving it what it wants' rather than 'taking good care of it', and it's not prudent to give obese people a message like, 'stop worrying and eat whatever you want'. These obese people are not in touch with their natural chemistry and sensations which tell them they are full and stop eating now, and they are nowhere near having a good sense of their body's specific nutritional needs. In short, they don't have a clear mind/body connection so they can't just eat intuitively. They are often entirely unconscious of what they eat, and have emotional compulsions which they have no control over, and they need prolonged practice at conscious eating and mind/body connection in motion to re-connect that unity of mind and body - and they have to overcome difficult old emotions in that process as well - so it is a very complicated bit of work requiring alterations to their environment both physical and social, and then their body will adapt to survive in that environment.

It definitely can be a very complicated process for many. I think even with new knowedge and awareness of what is better for your health, the challenges for a focused and more consistent balanced turnaround (lasting and integrated) can still challenge many. I have observed in myself that the deeper my own mind body healing goes through each shift, emotionally and spiritually, the more effortless the physical has been. The physical body awareness less invaded by barriers of a self conditioned or in resistance to itself. Even the whole sensory changes within myself through those processors have supported a willingness to try and enjoy new foods. More colour, more crunch, more flavours. One thing I noticed as someone who very rarely has sugar, my taste buds and body naturally seek fresh fruit and vegetables, nuts and healthy snacks to satisfy my hunger and points of what might be determined as craving points, for someone struggling to move beyond their unhealthy cravings. The field of body awareness is certainly an avenue of work that can support others more holistically, especially someone like yourself who is mind/body aware and more lead to understand the deeper conditioned nature of others.