View Single Post
Old 23-07-2018, 05:58 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman
I think males and females think differently regardless of culture or social programming. Just by the very fact that a woman can get pregnant and bring a child to birth, gives her a unique perspective that a man could never imagine. Females have biological experiences that males do not, and cannot, have. PMS, menstruation, pregnancy, etc., are inherent in most females because of their biology, and that biology effects the gender psychology of a female differently than it does a male, because a male does not have those biological experiences.

I worked in the medical field for 20-years and then transferred over to the field of psychology for 20-years, so having done a lot of research myself, I don't necessarily go along with what has been written about this topic by others. I used to be a university professor, and I am also published, but I'm not saying I can't be wrong, because I can be very wrong. An I agree, there are nuances in the mind/body equation, and this is much more complex in human beings than it is in animals. The fact is, society, and culture, chooses how their dominant language is used, i.e. "bad" was bad until Michael Jackson made it popular for "bad" to mean good. How we use language, or terms, like gender and sex, depends on our culture.

The terms transsexual, gay, and intersex, have not been in the public consciousness that long. Gays were once referred to as "homosexual" but today that term is viewed by many as derogatory. Although, sex and sexuality has always been referred to as biological. The only thing I question is if there is an innate separation between biology and psychology, and in my opinion, in most cases probably not. To me this is a question about the mind body interaction and not so much about culture and society. Although, culture and society does play a role in this apart from the innate mind body interaction.

I agree there can't be a entirely separate psychologically personality from the physical body, for as you point out, our sensory experience is a significant determinant of our respective psychologies or psycological personalities. In my Buddhist based spiritual practice the mind/body is unitary as opposed to any sort of definitive Cartesian styled mind/body duality (which Western health institutionalism is founded on), and gender would be integrated with the sex-physique in that sense. However, I claim that is not the same sense as the gender narrative which demands conformity to socially determined norms.