View Single Post
Old 23-11-2010, 03:09 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilia
I also, personally dislike "empty music".. songs about love that have just been churned out because they sell... they could sound high vibrational, and have lovely sentiments but because the intention when they were written was "just write another love song" they are totally ineffectual.

Another interesting example is a band called Ministry.... they are an industrial band and in their time considered VERY heavy and VERY dark sounding.. but they were writing about environmental issues, human rights, how the american government were getting it soo wrong. It sounded very bad, but it was actually quite important stuff they were saying.

I forgot about Ministry. Have an album of theirs around somewhere i think. I loved that one Bob Dylan cover they did.

Also listen to KMFDM periodically, WW3 was good pump up tune. Good kind of revolutionary/anti government-establishment music. Forgot about industrial music almost.

I completely agree with you on the overly emo music also, i feel like it encourages kids or whoever to feel sorry for themselves, too sentimental, and influences one's mood, especially those prone to depression and apathy already.

SunSister - you mentioned dark metal, or death metal.. yeah personally not a fan. Knew couple guys in highschool who were into heavy crazy death metal. To each their own i guess. Was watching a documentary death metal last year sometime, and their is this group in the Netherlands or somewhere that went around burning down churches that's taking yourself way too seriously in my opinion. Stuff like Cannibal Corpse i can stand for about 14 seconds, then it becomes too much lol.

An album that i would consider on the dark side, it is break beat/ big beat with sort of punk mentality that i listened to a ton is 'How to Operate with a Blown Mind' by the Lo - Fidelity Allstars. I listen to this sometimes when i am in an angry/somewhat dark mood, and it fits like a glove.

I think with any dark music, there is a fine line between being comforted and dwelling upon the feeling for too long.

I used to listen to 'Downward Spiral' quite a bit for awhile, now i do not listen to any Nine Inch Nails ever. It's not that i don't think Reznor is a bad musician or anything, but just find the influence quite contrary to what im going for lately. Plus downward spiral i later learnt was recorded in the house where the Tate murder took place, so there is no way i can support that in any sense of the word.

from wikipedia;

To record the album, Reznor rented the house located at 10050 Cielo Drive in Beverly Hills, California where actress Sharon Tate was murdered by members of the Manson Family in 1969. Reznor built a studio space in the house which he named Le Pig, after the message that was scrawled on the front door with Tate's blood by her murderers. Reznor told Entertainment Weekly that despite the notoriety attached to the house, he chose to record there because, "I looked at a lot of places, and this just happened to be the one I liked most." Reznor moved out of the house in December 1993, after he said "there was too much history in that house for me to handle." After the album's recording, Reznor moved out and the house was demolished shortly thereafter.[8] Reznor made a statement about working in the Tate house during a 1997 interview with Rolling Stone:
While I was working on Downward Spiral, I was living in the house where Sharon Tate was killed. Then one day I met her sister. It was a random thing, just a brief encounter. And she said: 'Are you exploiting my sister's death by living in her house?' For the first time, the whole thing kind of slapped me in the face. I said, 'No, it's just sort of my own interest in American folklore. I'm in this place where a weird part of history occurred.' I guess it never really struck me before, but it did then. She lost her sister from a senseless, ignorant situation that I don't want to support. When she was talking to me, I realized for the first time, 'What if it was my sister?' I thought, ' *bleep* Charlie Manson.' I went home and cried that night. It made me see there's another side to things, you know?[9]

Make of that what you will..

There is another whole area of dark music, namely, hip hop, that hasn't been addressed yet. Would be curious to hear opinions on that as well. Some great though dark, hip hop out there. Whole big boatload of controversy lol if anyone wishes to go there.