View Single Post
Old 04-08-2017, 07:40 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteyzen
The striving you mention , when I consider it, is there, thats true, I wonder if this striving is only an impulse of the mind, which makes me wonder, if the mind ever was to be perfectly still, would action cease? or would something else create action and what would this thing be if it did? In tai chi, at times when i still the mind (as much as I can anyway)and lose myself in the form, parts of my body whilst doing the form, can be observed by me, moving without any noticeable stimulous from me. Maybe that`s not the case but it feels like it.
Action does 'happen' less as the mind stills. However what is going way is turmoil, fidgeting, and other nondirected behaviors. What you refer to in your Tai Chi is what happens. Your body still moves and takes action according to your nature, personality, preferences, and desires. What does not occur is any perceptible thinking about whether or not to take those actions. Whatever is in alignment with who you are just occurs spontaneously.

The conscious portion of your mind can get confused as it is not in the (control) loop. Sometimes the conscious mind is not even aware of something you have done until its all over. While it is true that at the point of action the conscious mind was left out, it does play a role in setting the preferences and desires which triggered that action.

I have found that despite not being in control, my conscious mind retroactively agrees that the action I took is the one it would have taken had it been given the option. Though it does sometimes still whine about not being in control.

Things get a bit ambiguous when you get to total mindlessness states (like Samadhi) as action no longer requires motion from the body or the mind.