Thread: Power animals?
View Single Post
Old 26-05-2018, 10:16 PM
Master
Quote:

Posted by sentient:
As far as I know - in Uralic and Siberian Shamanism, we are descendants of an Animal Ancestor (& in our case) either the Bear or the Moose/Elk, which divides us into 2 totemic clans that are further divided into sub-clan totems and these ‘moieties’ “define peoples roles and responsibilities, and their relationships with each other and creation.”
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/e3/ca...7eec64c676.jpg

I find what you've said here very interesting.

You are talking of ancestor animals correct? In many Native American cultures, this is the purpose totems, or totem animals serve. Totem animals are just that- tribal ancestor animals, I am unaware, if many actually know this.

An example from a website lists some possible Abenaki- tradition I am of- tribe totems:

Abenaki - Wolf, wild cat (black), bear, snake, beaver, caribou, sturgeon, muskrat, pigeon, hawk, squirrel, spotted frog, crane, porcupine.

Thing is this site lists all these totems and the meaning of them specifically to spirit guides, and guardian animal spirits.

What many seem not to even realize is in many Native beliefs some of these certain animal totems of theirs are regarded indeed as ancestral animal spirits.

There is another thing. The power animal itself. Many do not realize, this isn't just a spirit guide.

In traditional view the power animal is not just a spirit guide animal. This is your soul. An animal representation of one's soul.

This is how I have learned to view it in my tradition.

There is more as well. But it isn't fluffy enough for here.

Many do not realize let's put it this way- just why it is so important that if you know your power animal, not to reveal this to any others, even among other Natives.

Just wanted to post to say I have found your sharing Of Uralic and Siberian beliefs, interesting.

Thank you for sharing.