View Single Post
Old 07-05-2016, 01:35 PM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
I'm not sure about the principle of quietening the monkey mind, and I prefer to think in terms of gaining insight into its operation. In this we already run into a contradiction because the former principle suggests taking some measure of control over ones thoughts (quiet them), while the latter principle, is essentially, coming to a realisation about the nature of the mind. What we call 'seeing' is in one sense the observation of, but in a more profound sense, it is the realisation of something, like, "ah, I see".

I think we're on the same page, just using different words to point to the same thing so to speak, such is the limitation of language. As I see it, the discipline to quiet the monkey mind is not an attempt to control it, but to observe it, and it is within observation that insight into its operation happens, awareness of its operation is observed. Hence, one "re-cognizes" or apperception happens and thus one real-eye's-is one is conscious awareness............

Like muddy water must be left alone (ignored) so that all "impurities" can settle down to the bottom, hence leaving clean/clear "water" in its original state, so does the mind require the same methods of purification. If the "water"-mind is stirred up then so are all the impurities, the more its stirred and the more impurities present, the longer it may take to return to its natural state.

When the silent observer can simply watch and allow any thought to stream across the screen of mind, without being moved by it or judging it in any way, then one gains control over its life in profound ways. This at least has been my experience and I cannot know if its the same for everyone.