View Single Post
Old 16-11-2017, 04:52 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondance
Great post, Iamit. I completely agree with these sentiments. There are innumerable factors which condition our perceived choices.

------

As a side note. I have to say that I'm a little uneasy with the designation, Neo Advaita.

The term was originally applied to the post Ramana teachers such as H. W. L. Poonja and subsequently Andrew Cohen and other students. And there is perhaps some validity in its use there as these were modified Advaita Vedanta teachings. But now the term is used indiscriminately to cover basically any teaching which does not agree with or apply traditional Vedanta methodology.

This is an error (or at best, lazy) since many current speakers/teachers (who might be labeled Neo Advaita) are grounded in (among other things) Buddhism/Zen and Taoism (also Sufism, Christian mysticism etc.) They present an inclusive, non-sectarian form of nonduality which often draws on the essential core of the different traditions. They don't set themselves up as Advaita teachers as such so there is no basis on which to call them Neo Advaita.

Also, the term itself is (knowingly) pejorative - no modern nondualists refer to themselves as Neo Advaita.

You may already be familiar with the essay by Tony Parsons I have posted in this thread which relates to what you are saying.