View Single Post
Old 11-06-2019, 05:51 PM
Guide
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulShades
What is the function of spiritual bypass?

I'm writing from a place of spiritual bypass (I think) in which my present, past, and future experience has slipped together into a dense and mostly-neutral ball of existence where the distinctions between my mental faculties have blurred into gray inconclusive, sliding thoughts. I have become, on the surface, dissociated from the good and bad, and my typical fears, worries, normal aspirations and desires, and sense of responsibility to my ego have all faded into the background. I ostensibly want and need nothing. My emotions have been masked as well. I am, however, aware of emotional tensions in the deep background of my consciousness that I don't have the access key to; it's important stuff I want to address, but I am currently restricted from viewing it. God also seems also distant, but a step or two closer to me than my emotions are. I just keep focusing on returning back to center, even though the center is as clear as mud.

My theory is that the bypass serves as a temporary emotional shield to help one through various emotionally-charged experiences along the spectrum of difficulty (which is what I have been going through), allowing them to absorb the blows to their ego easier, thus forwarding them through the healing process faster.

I've gotten stuck in some even deeper bypasses before where I've been completely overwhelmed by apathy, and even the simplest of decisions were agonizingly hard to make because I completely lost a sense of my spiritual foundation. It's an organic form of escape, I know, but it can become quite cognitively exhausting (paradoxically) and worrisome if you're in it for, say, days.

I've done a little napping and meditation as these symptoms have arisen, and that has seemed to help revive the focus and clarity back to my life.

What do you think about this phenomena?

***I moved out of the bypass as I integrated my emotions back into my experience.

I don't think this is "spiritual bypass" as much as a sever depression or breadkdown. You need to talk to someone face to face that has nothing to do with your life, a stranger, a counselor or someone who is not attached to changing anything.