View Single Post
Old 06-10-2018, 09:01 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_Waters
As you correctly pointed out, "in the context of this internet thread, speech is necessary". However, although it is not possible here, communication without speech is far more effective.

In some situations it can be more effective to communicate without talking... but I wouldn't say that's generally true...

Quote:
When I was at a Taoist monastery in Chengdu (China) many years ago, I had questions for the monks (through an interpreter) that were not answered to my satisfaction. There was a similar problem with the head monk. I was then referred to the master and admitted to his presence albeit without my interpreter. It is not clear whether the master spoke English or not but it did not matter. I was in his presence for about three hours with no words being spoken yet all my "questions" were answered to my satisfaction until I had nothing more on my mind.

A similar silent communication just happened between me and a great soul at the Khumba Mela in Haridwar (India) in 1998. The silent communication was far more effective than anything that I have either read or have heard where words were utilized.

Having said that, the Buddhist texts have been very helpful .... until one no longer needs them. Over time, I have noticed that the self-realized great souls are, more often than not, more quiet and speak less than others. Nisargadatta Maharaj points out that there are numerous primary teachers to teach the alphabet.

That sounds great to have the experience of a Taoist monastery and in India.