Old 04-01-2018, 10:47 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
Hello,

Here is a PDF of Nisargadatta's 'I am That'

http://www.freespiritualebooks.com/u.../i-am-that.pdf

I think this statement sums up Nasargadatta's approach:
How do you find a thing you have mislaid or forgotten? You keep it in your mind until you recall it. The sense of being, of 'I am' is the first to emerge. Ask yourself whence it comes, or just watch it quietly. When the mind stays in the 'I am' without moving, you enter a state which cannot be verbalised but can be experienced. All you need to do is try and try again. After all the sense ‘I am’ is always with you, only you have attached all kinds of things to it -- body, feelings, thoughts, ideas, possessions etc. All these self-identifications are misleading. Because of them you take yourself to be what you are not

(you can do a word search to find it in the pdf text - the pdf has no page numbers I can reference)

I hope we can discuss the meanings presented in the book rationally and become the wiser so doing.

Cheers, and I look forward to talking with you.

It was lengthy, but I did read through it, not fully, but lots of it.

I am curious as to when the mind stays in the intent of the I am, is it actually holding those words in the mind as a focus Gem? As an example if one were meditating, is it the words as the intent?

In the past I have done positive affirmations of the I Am, but with affirming additions after it. This was to change my mindset from my own lack, or inability to trust in the process, or just a self worth thing. They were varied. I did these over two years and they shifted me to let go of the old binds and connect to a new mindset as the affirming words.

I am curious as to what the experience reveals with this intent on the I Am. Have you experienced this yourself?

Man has learned how to challenge both Nature and art to become the incitements to vice! His very cups he has delighted to engrave with libidinous subjects, and he takes pleasure in drinking from vessels of obscene form! Pliny the Elder