View Single Post
Old 19-11-2017, 11:25 PM
Experiencer
What your teacher told the class is not true. The origin of this and similar beliefs goes back to when reiki was brought over to the US (Hawaii) from Japan. The first American student of reiki went to study reiki in Japan. When she returned she turned it into more of a business than of a passing on of a spiritual gift. One of the things she did was make the symbols secretive. Supposedly she didn’t even give the symbols out to her students on paper. She only showed it to them. Of course, no one can remember perfectly that’s why there is more than one version of the three symbols that exist today. Her students just went by what they could remember.

What my instructor told my class was that the symbols can be found in temples in Japan. There is no way someone who has not taken reiki will receive harmful effects just from looking at it. It’s just a symbol. The master symbol is actually a word (I don’t know what the word is). Like others have mentioned, now the symbols can be found on the internet. If you look at the master symbol (level 3) before you take the class and get the attunement, nothing will happen to you.

You can learn more about the history of reiki (including other misconceptions that have been investigated), at reiki.org.