View Single Post
Old 29-12-2015, 06:00 AM
Raven Poet

Hi Darkangel91. I hope you are enjoying SF!

I will share only what I have learned from the local Elders and Traditional Knowledge Keepers in my area. Unfortunately you are right when you've observed deceit and cultural appropriation in the world. Where I live, we have an understanding that if a person comes prancing up calling themselves an Elder or a Medicine person ... then they are not. Humility is one of the first characteristics of a real Spiritual practitioner, according to our traditions here.

My Uncle, the beloved Elder who helped me find my Spirit name and clan, said once, "You have to earn your stripes before I share some of the teachings with you." He was not coming from a place of self importance - he recognizes that there have been many Anishinaabeweg (Ojibwe people) who worked really really hard to "earn" the knowledge they sought. He did not wish to make light of the sacred knowledge, nor of the suffering and sacrifice that those people willingly undertook for receiving teachings from the Creator.

Some people have read info on the internet or in a book and then pass it off as theirs, with the false title of "shamans." Not once have I ever heard a teacher, Elder, or medicine person in my culture use that word.

I have not undergone many of the ceremonies that my strong, brave relatives have to understand more about our traditions and spiritual laws. The ceremonies I have participated in, however, have given me a few pieces of knowledge to apply in my own life. For this I am grateful.

It seems to me, from what I've observed, that spiritual knowledge is gained or "earned" by living the teachings - by making a commitment to the ceremonies, taking the time to listen, reflect, absorb, and apply what is shown to us there; staying humble by recognizing we know very little compared to all there is to know in this vast universe of Great Mystery.

I don't know how deep one can connect with traditional knowledge by reading about it. Maybe a person can, but I know I can't. I have to get in there and make the pathetic little sacrifices I am capable of so I can be shown the little I know. Creator and the Spirit Helpers make themselves seen and known most evidently in the Sweatlodge, the Sundance arbor, the Shake Tent, the Vision Quest, the Full Moon Circle, the Pipe.

Maybe one day you will be able to experience some of these beautiful ceremonies first hand and be given what you seek. I wish you much success and peace on your path - I was happy when I read you wish to bring light into the world. That is so needed!