View Single Post
Old 07-05-2018, 07:41 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
I put this forward as a kind of thought experiment - of a most unusual kind. An experiment in pure logic, but also bamboozling; a thing of impeccable order, yet inexplicable. For it questions, "what is a 'thing'?" And the answer to that, dearies, lies at the bottom of a very deep rabbit hole.

How far you want to go?

This is the thought experiment:

Imagine there is a thing but you you don't know what it is. It could literally be anything! (but it doesn't have to be).

You have no idea, so come closer to that feeling of 'unknowingness', see what unknowingness is like, its empty possibility... how is that unknowing seen to be...

That's the 'thing'.

What is it?

You said imagine anything so here it goes. Say I meet someone for the first time. They may or may not give me much information about themselves or the interaction may be so brief that I know nothing at all about them. Immediately my mind starts to fill in my owns perceptions of that person, more than likely skewed or inaccurately, but my thought processes go right ahead filling in supposed information about that person so that I can surmise whether or not they jive with me or turn me off.

Perhaps I'll never see that person again in my life, in which case none of the assumed characteristics about them are ever verified for me. But in a second scenario, say I see this person again and as I truly stop filling in information about them, but rather let them be who they are and tell me who they are through the multitude of ways a person can teach another about him or herself, I learn more. More than likely the more I learn the more it may contradict my initial assessment of that individual.

Reminds me of the saying "He/She's an open book." That may be true, but one has to read that book fully and even then so do we ever really truly know someone? After all as life progresses a person is constantly writing new chapters to their life book.

Well not sure if what I said above has anything to do with anything, but it's something.