View Single Post
Old 29-06-2014, 05:40 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger1777

We we give away some of our energy, for any spell (and personally I don't like the term 'spell', but I guess that's what it is), we effectively give away some of our life force.

A few years ago, my step father was diagnosed with a very serious, life threatening illness. The doctors said there was stuff they could try, but it was all dependent on him being strong enough to endure the very harsh treatments. I didn't think he was (but of course would not tell my wife, his daughter that). So over the course of several days, I would spend a couple of hours per evening meditating, and casting my energy towards him. Somehow I knew it wasn't enough but I gave as much as I dared spare. I knew I was taking a risk myself, because if he died, the energy I gave away would be lost to me. Unfortunately he did die. That was a few years ago now. Prior to that, I was always in good health and physically fit. My health and fitness dropped drastically around that time, and despite my efforts, I'm still not back to where I ought to be.

There is a good reason why most people don't try to do magic all the time, and this is it. It takes energy out of you, and the more powerful the magic, and the more frequent the attempt, the more energy is lost. You can get it back, but it takes time and rest and sometimes a nice dose of positive energy input from those around us.

My condolences about your stepfather, Badger, how very kind of you to try to help him.

There is really no need to give away so much of one's own energy, though. There is a method of "charging" oneself by a certain breathing method and visualizing energy from the Universe filling you and so working a 'regular' type of spell should not take too much personal energy at all. However, being involved in rites like the Lammas Rites in 1940 (I think it was '40) then, yes, IMHO it will take a lot out of you.