View Single Post
Old 03-11-2017, 09:37 AM
Master
I don't know if people followed the thread, but things have to be established in virtue. I think human beings already have a sense for 'the greater good'. True some petty minded people are just out to get what they can for themselves, but generally speaking, people understand virtue. This is a Buddhist thread so I will list the 10 paramis (perfections):

Generosity
Morality
Renunciation (letting go)
Discerning in wisdom
Energy in vitality
Truthfulness
Patience
Determination
Loving kindness
Equanimity

No need for such a specific list in that virtue isn't exactly definable, it is more like a quality of being, like selflessness. For example in generosity one gives without expecting something in return. In truthfulness one is truthful for it's own sake, not because they get something out of it. In this way virtue comes from a sense of a 'greater good', which no one can explain.

In my case, I am not 'good' because I obey a set of moral rules. I am 'good' because there is a higher purpose that self satiation. I serve without need of appreciation. I tell the truth regardless of my losses or gains - and I have no defined reason for this conduct - but I am motivated by compassion and an undying wish for the happiness of all beings.

If I become bad tempered or otherwise start to generate ill-will, that comes with an instability of the mind, so it's obvious that ways which are not virtuous are counter to mindfulness, perhaps born only in lapses of mindfulness.

So we might see how virtue is the foundation of mindful practice, and it is important to understand, because without understanding this foundation one will only meditate for 'something in return', and it becomes a labour in expectation of reward. IOW, an activity motivated by craving.

I think I'll leave off there. I hope it makes some sense.