View Single Post
Old 28-02-2011, 07:34 PM
Time

Honza, I do see your point. Although I do have some problems with some of your facts.

Yes, most civs were conquered in one way or another. It happened to the Egyptians, greeks, Asian cultures and the rest. But it isnt always by man. There was a civilizaion around the black sea before it was formed. When the Mediterranian flooded, and created the black sea, they were forced from their way of life by the changing climate, as well as flooded lands. Most civilizations were brought down not by war, but by climate and weather related problems.

From meso american cultures ( they were already reduced by starvation, war and other problems before the spanish got there, they meerly finished them off. But the fact is the climate forced them into copetition with other tribes, and starved them), anazazzi, omec, early european, the climate wiped out more peoples then war has.

I dont see how you can call most European tribes peaceful. War was prevalant in those times. The celts practiced uman sacrifice, early germanic tribes were war like, Romans CRAVED valour from defeating peoples. Alexander the great was a "god", Persia didnt attain a vast empire by sharing kittens and sandwitches.

Even the asian countries were conquored by eachother. The chinese had a rich history of trying to take over other countries. Same with mongolia.

The only civ that I can think of that was even some what peaceful wre Native americans/Canadians. Even that is a slippery slope. The iroqois were very territorial, and always had small fights with bordering tribes. The Ojibway, were |TERRIFIED fo the Mohawks ( Iroquois). They also practiced human sacrifice ( only "worthy warriors"). They didnt get "savage" untill, the europeans came. And even then, the europeans wiped half of them out inadvertanly by disease. They also wipped most of them out by burning the forest for agriculture, and also , to try to "exterminate the native threat".

Even today, attrocities are done by all humanity. Hate knows no boundries, and doesnt discriscriminate ( it literaly does, but i mean figuritivly), whether its in africa north america or asia it happens every where. I will admit, that almost all of these types of deeds were done prominently but europeans ( inquisition, crusades, extermination of pagan tribes), but there have been many liek east timor, or china and north korea, burma, the middle east africa, south america and here in noth america recently. Its all accross the board.

it does seem that at certain points in our history it was done by certain peoples, persia, rome, briton/france/spain/dutch etc, north americans, asians..... But that doesnt mean that its fair to paint that notion with a broad brush. No one race, or civilization isnt guilty of taking over, or wiping out a peoples. Its a human problem, not a races problem.