Thread: Life Itself
View Single Post
Old 24-11-2016, 01:38 PM
Pathfinder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Mc
Why are you calling it a tree if its not a tree ?

Hi Joe, in my own wayward mind your comment made me think of the words of Neddy Seagoon when asked why he was in the coal cellar........"Well. everybody gotta be somewhere" he replied. So I suppose that, for the sake of communication, everything has to have a name also.

On the very same subject, there are the Buddhist Mahayana texts, which often - following their very own rather alarming dialectic - state such things as "because sentient beings are not sentient beings, they are sentient beings". Such texts can turn the head to jelly, but it does seem that when reality itself is seeking to be described as best as possible, then needs must - reality being more a constant and on-going becoming rather than being distinct objects, forever only what they are, each set in stone (though capable of inter-acting)

I think relinquish has it right. Myself, I take what I would call an existential approach to the idea that there are no dividing lines in reality. As far as our sexuality is concerned (ah ha! I now have the attention of others!), there is an unbroken line between the worlds most macho male and the worlds most feminine lady. Each of us, as unique individuals, find ourselves on that line. Yet our minds create divisions, fences, labels, and what can potentially be a community of human beings becomes instead a world of conflict and name calling.