View Single Post
Old 24-11-2017, 05:09 AM
Suspended
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi Rakel
Hi,

This is a question long under ways, and it is merely our of curioustity.

Through my childhood and young adult life, it happened many times that I was treated as kin, by aquaintances, strangers and parents of friends for example. People of jewish decent and faith. (Please, what is the term to use, I heard somewhere that Jew was derogatory, but it is still on wikipedia with no mention of it. Please, enlighten me, if you can.)

That is one thing, I have a biblical name (Rakel) and I'm very dark for ascandinavian.

But today I was reminded of a man who told me that I was actually jewish; I explained where my mother was from and father and their parents in turn. I would have loved to be jewish, for sure! The welcoming I got was very warm and caring and a little mysterious, also. Anyway, this man insisted, I don't remember his argument. I just was.

And later it happened another time, with a very old jewish man who said sth like you cannot always count your parents as your parents... He too stated that I was jewish.

I never followed through with examining it because, I felt like a fraud, I didn't want to trespass.

Years ago I saw a film with Jeff Goldblum where something similar happened to him, can't remember anything but the fact that I was somehow relieved I was not the only one this had happened to.

So, my question is; is this 'a thing' in judaism? Is there some basis in tradition or literature for jewish people being born in non-jewish families, needing to 'find home', or something like that?

The man who first talked to me about it, I heard of him today for the first time in 20 years, and my sister reminded me that he had talked even to her about it back then; telling her to ask me to take it seriously. I didn't know that back then, she felt intimidated by the idea that I would not be family, and never conveyed it to me.

And I simply realized today, hat I have always wondered if there could be any truth to it somehow. If there was/is some 'magic' that I've closed the door on.

Very, very curious to hear if anyone has any insights to it!

Thank you! / Mi
It gets that way one wouldn't be able to tell the difference from a Hebrew or a Goy, on so many levels. It says in the scriptures that the Hebrews were scattered into all nations, at different times I might add. Yes the word Jew was and probably still is considered derogatory just like the word Goy. I don't mind either. These people that call you Jewish might be right, they may see something about you. If you help others, it wouldn't matter whether you're a Hebrew or Goy in my opinion. If for some reason you do find out you're Hebrew you must become a light to the Goy.