View Single Post
Old 09-06-2019, 12:47 AM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphirez
ocean breeze the reality is that alcohol is literally a poison to the body and damages the liver as well as the kidneys and pretty much all of the organs and entire body, and brain, because they're all connected working intricately together. it is true that the human body is designed to heal itself, but poison is poison and nobody fares well with even a little bit of alcohol because it is a damaging and toxic substance. there isn't philosophy to negate that fact

edithaint there are a lot of ways to live healthfully and create more livelihood and vitality than is accidentally destroyed.. what comes to mind is how our walking on the ground ends up killing bugs, and probably microorganisms and such.. but that also makes me think that walking on the ground barefoot is extremely healthy and would end up killing less bugs, and plantlife, than walking in rubber sole sneakers or boots would.. not sure if you're thinking on that level but I don't really think it's impossible to live a relatively harmless life and we do have the most control on how or whether or not we harm ourselves.. it's often a matter of nescience but it's part of our responsibility here to seek and find answers so we can live better for ourselves and those around us

It isn't just about philosophy. It's about observing the world around us, and realizing how little of that we will ever understand. Yes, alcohol clearly has health risks, but there are also debatable benefits as well. I'd rather not debate it though, as I personally find alcohol distasteful. Yet we ALL have a drug of choice.

Assuming linear spacetime is a human construct in an otherwise unknowable universe, there really is no "creating" OR "destroying" any livelihood or vitality. Everything just is. We ourselves judge a thing as "good" or "bad" based on various criteria, but who are we to really know or prove that there is no cost for every benefit? No benefit to every cost? There is only the everlasting flux of energy and matter before our eyes, which necessities help, health, birth, but also harm, hurt, and death. Everything rises from the ashes of another. If alcohol is only good for one thing, that would be the death and suffering it causes, allowing our perception of an ever-changing world by way of creation and destruction. This isn't only philosophy, but also physics.

That said, I myself prefer not to drink alcohol. And I do prefer to walk barefoot when I'm not wearing heavy leather combat boots. But if I had my way, I would legalize every drug without any legal or medical restriction. Including alcohol. NOT to encourage drug use, dear moderators, only medical freedom and bodily autonomy. I know how certain drugs affect myself and my family, but others should be allowed to make their own choices regardless of consequences. We do what we are meant to do, for better and worse.

"The universe is random. Not inevitable. It's simple chaos." -- Walter White

"Of course it is happening inside your head, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?" -- Albus Dumbledore