Thread: Pratyeka-buddha
View Single Post
Old 13-08-2017, 10:59 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysDayAfterYesterday
The final half of enlightenment is the part no one wants to acknowledge. It requires something from the person, which is the true purpose of the practice to find the higher nature. From practice comes performance. Finding the truth is finding the the path, which is a mixture of compassion and duty. The ocean is a source of unlimited potential that remains unused if the person fails to recognize the purpose for finding it. Cause and effect represents the results of our actions, both good and bad. Seeking enlightenment is meaningless apart from learning the point.

A good version of this comes from three Buffalo. One is the mud buffalo, swimming in its own weeds and muck. Two is the water buffalo, entering the stream to wash off the former residence. Three is the domesticated white buffalo plowing the field, pulling the cart and serving as a beast of burden for the family. It's the third buffalo who learns the point of a Bodhisattva.

The buffalo’s head sprouts horns
As he emerges from the weeds (relatives),
In a dream, he tries to speak
Of the valley of the timeless spring.
Although he has bathed in the fragrant waters,
I hit, saying, “Not Good Enough!
How will you impart strength to others?”

From a Koan capping verse on the same topic.

Are we not here as all three in one?
When I read this it makes no sense as your articulation reads to me, not of unity as one source but three separate aspects where only one learns the point. Where as all three are not separate in the whole state of being imo which can then lead to be of service in some way back to others.

Man has learned how to challenge both Nature and art to become the incitements to vice! His very cups he has delighted to engrave with libidinous subjects, and he takes pleasure in drinking from vessels of obscene form! Pliny the Elder