View Single Post
Old 09-05-2019, 04:01 PM
Knower
I say this as someone who has a narcissistic mother, and who is extremely anti-authoritarian and even "anti-adult" in my adulthood: do NOT push the issue. I understand your concern, but especially at your son's age, he may lump your own parental concern with narcissistic behavior. NOT saying you are a narcissist though. But there's a YouTube video titled something like "Are All Parents Narcissists?" that I watched a few weeks ago, and I totally understand where such a sentiment comes from.

At the age of 14, your son is nearing physical adulthood. He might even be capable of bearing his own child at this point. ALL relationships have some degree of toxicity, even the healthiest ones, and the sooner everyone learns this, the better. Labelling people as "narcissists" only oversimplifies our complex psychosocial issues, setting up false hopes for "happy ever after" relationships that ultimately leave us in shock when things go sour. Everything goes sour though. Everything can be toxic, just a matter of context.

Again, I don't mean to dismiss your fears. I'm absolutely terrified of my mother, yet I love her dearly, so I understand the dangers of narcissism from very personal experience. But I just feel the need to dispel this "narcissist versus empath" dichotomy I see far too often, because we are all both. Some more extreme than others. Rest assured that your son's friend is in much more danger than he is, as narcissistic abuse (especially by mothers) is often directed toward one's own offspring.