View Single Post
Old 09-01-2020, 12:15 AM
JustASimpleGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert rat
Distros like Ubuntu and Mint are easy to use . Many of the programs that run with Kali are command line and must be correctly used . On programming , I learned basic. in the 70s . From the YouTube videos I have watched languages like c ++ and python use the same commands , just in a slightly different way .

Junior year of high school I took basic and senior year fortran & cobol. That was in the mid-70s and I went into the Air Force in 80 on a guaranteed contract for computer programming.

Command line stuff can be a pain. Even on the mainframe we access through an emulator on our laptops and for pushing some data around we use native ftp which is all command line stuff in the run window.

I do have a small bit of Unix experience from back in the mid-90s with GE that I don't remember too well. It was on a failed effort to port a mainframe system to a server running Solaris. I did quite a bit with shell scripts and I remember, what were they, oh yeah Awk and Sed commands and Cron for scheduling.