View Single Post
Old 09-11-2010, 07:00 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbiO
7L -

The truth will set you free is a quote attributed not to the immerser but to Jesus in the gospel according to John. Whether Jesus was referring to Shimon's words, Shimon living contemporaneously with him, is conjecture, but possible.

The quintessential quote regarding G-d in the Tanakh is from Isaiah -
כִּי לֹא מַחְשְׁבוֹתַי מַחְשְׁבוֹתֵיכֶם, וְלֹא דַרְכֵיכֶם דְּרָכָי--נְאֻם,ה
For My ways are not your ways, and My thoughts are not your thoughts, says Adonai.

I was uncertain how you meant the phrase "know G-d." If you meant it as in being able to walk with G-d, know of G-d, experience G-d, I would not disagree. If you meant it as understanding G-d, then I would respectfully have to disagree.

Of course, I agree there are many paths and, as you are well aware and I have mentioned in the past, our tradition teaches that the righteous of all nations have a share in the world to come.

B'shalom,

Peter

Oops, thanks RabbiO...it was in John but not the John I thought... it was the other guy, Y'shua...LOL...
A Christian scholar I am not...LOL...

Yes I always thought it was definitely a reference to Gamliel...and I still think to Jews it would speak to social justice and right action, etc., whether then or now. The rest of what it may mean to Christians doesn't apply for me but the first part still would. And I think this speaks to the 2 "common" uses of the phrase...one where Truth = God (via the Word) and one for Christians where Jesus is part of this Truth. I'll have to defer to them though. That's just my sense of it.

On your other point, I meant know God in the usual sense, yes. More as in "know of" i.e, recognition of God, finding your way with God , and so forth.

I mentioned the "many paths" because I assumed Caretaker was not Jewish...and just wanted to stress that we recognise other paths to God but don't feel the need to convert or merge with other traditions...just in case he/she was wondering

L'Shalom,
7L