View Single Post
Old 09-04-2012, 02:41 PM
Zem

I don't think speaking in tongues is a bad thing. What I do think is a bad thing is the self-righteousness that often comes along with people who do it. A lot of people say it's a "special gift" that not everyone has. This is a bunch of bologna, and as a result of this "in-crowd" mentality, it causes a lot of people to just start spouting out crazy words in the hopes of being recognized as someone who is "chosen" by God to speak in tongues. It's like the story of the Emperors New Clothes where everyone pretends that the Emperor is not actually naked, because if they can't see his new clothes (which don't actually exist) it will mean that they are not fit for their role in society (according to the conmen who "made" the new clothes in the first place.)

It's fine for people to speak in tongues, as long as they're not doing it for the wrong motivation (i.e. to be seen by men/women). I think a lot of people pretend that when they speak in tongues it's entirely the workings of the Holy Spirit, and there is no conscious effort on their part. I also think this is a bunch of bologna. ANYONE can speak in tongues, and ANYONE can express their emotions towards God in the form of these words.