View Single Post
Old 03-10-2018, 10:40 PM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by linen53
Generally I'd say we don't deal with trauma well. Our own or anyone elses. We will try to avoid it in conversation for the most part. And we will change the subject as soon as it is polite enough to do so. And never mention it again. If the other person brings it up again, and we feel uncomfortable we may then avoid them.

To be fair, I don't think people anywhere are particularly good at dealing with traumas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by linen53
Now regarding politics, all bets are off. It's put the gloves on and duke it out.

I have a story to tell about this one. For an American, this is going to sound naive, but it illustrates the difference of the political culture pretty well. I'm not telling the story as a point for or against anyone but just to demonstrate my culture shock with US politics generally:

The first time I got familiar with American politics was when I watched some clips of speeches of Obama and McCain on the campaign trail in 2007 - 2008. Before seeing that election, I had never heard of an "attack ad" and didn't know what it means. In Finnish television, I had only seen ads which were something like "I'm a candidate and here is what I think are important issues. The End." Really tame in comparison, basically just introductions. So, out of cultural curiosity, I watched a few US attack ads from Youtube, and then I told my friends "Wow, in the US politics, they make these things called attack ads! That's really dirty!"

In hindsight I feel like I grew up witnessing rather innocuous politics.