View Single Post
Old 02-09-2017, 12:48 AM
Guide

Having no details of your situation, I can only relate the question to my own experience with therapy.

My therapist had me explore my emotional reactions, my deepest memories, my relationship with parents (especially my mother).

She did not give me answers. She asked me questions. She asked how I felt about my relationship with Mother, if I had felt loved, what my earliest childhood memories were.

She guided, and followed up with additional questions. This seems to be generally what your therapist is doing.

My therapist could not give me answers, simply because every person's reactions, memories, and blockages are different and often caused by things that didn't affect anyone else, not even siblings. The only person who COULD find my answer was ME.

She did hone in on specific areas that seemed to trouble me, that seemed to hold the key to my depression and anxiety issues.

It was painful digging around in the memories I had repressed for all those years, but I HAD to do it. Until I recognized the hurt and pain and DEALT with them, I could not be free.

That process took about a year. I am doing well now, and the ghosts of my past rarely trouble me.

I don't really think your therapist can help much, without you doing the work.

My best wishes to you. I hope you find your answers swiftly :)