View Single Post
Old 10-02-2013, 06:56 AM
StephenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannah
. The individual is irrelevant in the face of the Whole.

Absolutely yes.... and... Absolutely no

There are two perspectives at work here... this observation is conditional as to which perspective you're standing-in when assessing our place in this physical universe. As an organism among organisms we are a flash in the pan... so tiny and minute as to be statistically, quantifiably, observationally irrelevant... we are such a speck in relation to the universe that there simply is no negative number small enough in order to denote our present mass in relation to all that is out there.... irrelevant...

But as an expression of consciousness we each, individually, are the center of that which is ours.... all that we each perceive as "I" is contained within this consciousness-of-self. I can see what others are doing around me, can sense a bit of what others may be feeling, but I can never be "them", they are themselves... and they operate on the same principle that I do, only unique to that which is them... so for each of us, the physical universe is only relevant to the degree that it effects us individually...

This interface between our consciousness and the physical universe is our body... we are borrowing this body, and the genetics that precede it... we are a passenger of individualized, self-oriented uniqueness, hitching a ride on an massively complex physical organism... an singular organism that is irreverent to the whole, but specific to each of us... so for us, at this moment it is "everything"..... so it's universal irrelevance, is irrelevant to us... the universe can exist without us... and our consciousness can continue to exist without it... while at the moment, we happen to intertwine... :^)