View Single Post
Old 20-05-2017, 03:35 PM
Pathfinder
In Zen it is said that once the bottom of the bucket falls out, all the water goes with it. These were wooden buckets. Now I say it should not have to be said that it never holds water again...but it also is not immediately perfectly dry (nor does it need to be).

Awakening includes seeing through the illusions of the mind. Suffering and problems cease...for the most part. I do find that a little of the most deeply ingrained condition may hold on. So anger may continue to flair...but as most of the suffering has ceased...I would not say "very little change" has happened. Anyone who finds suffering ceases will not call it a very little change.

What does stay remains due to it remaining unexamined (not brought into the light of understanding). I like delving into what remains and watching it pass as well. Some teachers will say there is no reason to do this as it is not really who/what they are (just habits of the body-mind). While true, it does bring suffering to others in this dream and it is interesting to find out how deeply the understanding can go (and how much can be let go of).

So you are definitely traveling lighter after awakening...but some conditioning may remain. Whether you delve into what remains is entirely up to you. You don't have to...there is no need for "self-improvement"...but I find it is fun and so I do delve into it.