View Single Post
Old 30-04-2015, 01:23 AM
mcoprevog

Advice for an aspiring acupuncturist

I want to be an acupuncturist, but I'm worried about a couple of things. First, is that I read a forums thread where all these people were talking about their experience with nerve damage because of acupuncture. I'm in Anatomy and Physiology II right now (actually just finishing) and I'm close to getting my Associate's Degree in Health Care, so I've been learning about the nervous system, and nerves are everywhere and very fragile! I'm sure acupuncture isn't just a hit or miss game of roulette with the nerves. How do acupuncturists avoid the nerves? Is it just a matter of knowing exact Exact EXACT!!! locations of everything? Is it a matter of how deep you insert the needle? Is it easy enough for a professional to gauge the difference in an obese person as opposed to an average or thin sized person. I'm confident in my abilities to learn all that I need to know and keep up to date and practiced on it as well, but I don't want to dedicate all the time (and money and work) that's needed to something if eventually, I'll hit that 0.1%(hypothetical) chance of ruining someone. Is there a way for acupuncturists to know for certain that if they take certain precautions that it won't ever happen to one of their clients? Or are they all just waiting on the day, and they back themselves up with a liability waiver?

Secondarily, is it hard to get started and get clients? Does school help you get in the door? Is the pay bad at first? Does no one want to go to an inexperienced acupuncturist? Is getting a Bachelor's in Acupressure a good way to start, or is it bad to spread out too much? What would be a better Bachelor's Degree choice if not that?... yeah things along those lines. Thanks in advance for the help!