View Single Post
Old 24-10-2019, 03:56 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molearner
JRL09,

Years ago when I began a meditation practice I used a very simple technique. I counted to 4(in my mind) over and over again. The purpose was to establish rhythmic breathing. As you say the number in your mind breathe out....then breathe in as you say 'and'. i.e. 1 and 2 and 3 and 4.....then start over. Too many numbers and one becomes forced to remember the next number. Also all of those numbers are one-syllable numbers....it helps establish a consistent rhythm. The only variable becomes how deeply one breathes. One can increase the depth of breath until it feels appropriate. It(meditation) simply becomes an exercise in breathing.....the essence of life. At some point after developing the automatic rhythm of breathing one can then cease the counting of the numbers. You will discover at first that this simple counting helps to prevent any extraneous thoughts....from this experience you realize that thoughts can be overcome. Hope this might be of value to you....:)

That is a very good technique. In the yoga practice of alternate nostril breathing, counting during the inhalation-hold-exhalation stages is incorporated into the practice. The counting does indeed facilitate concentration and thwarting distractions, as you duly noted. I hadn't thought about that in that manner until you mentioned it.

Thanks for sharing.