Thread: Buddhism
View Single Post
Old 15-08-2018, 07:05 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice_1
What books can I read to learn more about the teachings of the Buddha?

Well Buddha wrote nothing down so really one can only read others opinions about what Buddha lived or said or taught.

I myself think a lot of people have found what Buddha did in their own particular ways and so to understand what Buddha had discovered, one can read or listen to all of them. Then get an idea of the path.

Everyone is unique so everyone will understand and incorporate the self knowledge in their own ways. And maybe Buddha achieved a depth others did not, but that doesn't matter we all do the best we can.

I have been reading "spiritual" or metaphysical books my whole life as I had an interest in it. I have found the same teachings attributed to Buddha in all cultures and faiths. I think all "teachings" are basically flawed in that the path is about living free and happy and unconditioned and all teachers and teachings tend to get heavy and drone on and on after awhile and basically just turn into more conditioning, the conditioning we are told to be free of.

But then at some point we know what the path is, have had some insight into our nature or what is going on, then we become the only teacher we need. The "teachings" are basically in our memory and we have our own experience as well to guide us. So the teachers and teachings will never actually leave us even when we stop depending on them or being attached to them in various ways.

But yea some foundation is needed to carry one forward on their own. Once the fundamentals are known, one can move forward and become their own teacher.

This is pretty much an example of one thing Buddha was probably talking about in my opinion...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xd-LpcU4Oo