View Single Post
Old 26-02-2017, 04:31 PM
Newbie ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honza
I have faith and am a firm believer in God's existence. I'm not talking pure consciousness here or I AM; but rather a living breathing God. Much like a 'super-person'.

I think this may be the reason why I struggle with Eastern mysticism and the New Age.

Many theists, both in the Abrahamic faiths and outside of them would take issue with your definition. Many say that "I AM" is beyond human conception and that His name shouldn't even be spoken because to define Him in human terms would not even begin to capture what He is. They may say that thinking of such a being as a super-person is making a "graven image" based on our flawed human conception.

There are many people who believe in a God, but think of it as something beyond our conception, something that permeates all of nature that we can all connect with. There are people in this category who neglect to refer to that as God at all, instead, opting for "Buddha Nature" or "The Tao" and feeling that assigning human concepts and emotions to define this force only cheapen this beautiful undercurrent that is far beyond our meager human conception. There are also those who just refer to it as "nature" and look at it through a materialistic lens, but still manage to find beauty in it.

I clipped the part of your quote that I did because ultimately what you are saying refers, more than anything else, to how YOU prefer to see things. That is perfectly fine, but instead of making your view the norm... it simply makes your view one among a sea of views on the divine. There is much to be learned from others' views and instead of shrinking from them, I find that we learn more about the nature of God, or whatever one may call it, through discussion with those of various viewpoints instead of clinging to our own simply because it was what we were taught to cling to.