View Single Post
Old 25-08-2017, 08:09 AM
Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallingLeaves
yes i could have. aren't I a terrible person for not doing so?
And I am a terrible person for pointing this out.

Seriously though, your analysis talks about the potential to generate confusion and the practical thing of shutting up to avoid it. Sure enough many teachers should do that - and unfortunately don't, at least until they have thought about it in some depth.

But to me this is surprising when already Nagarjuna (c. 150 – c. 250 CE) and more recently Douglas Harding (1909 – 2007) with his 'Headless Way' provide clear hints and answers how one prevents the arising of confusion when confronted with texts such as the TTC and many others.
It seems inconceivable that many teachers do no know about this, which leaves me to conclude that they want to confuse the people to leave them ignorant.

Who would do something like that? Well, one of the charges leveled against Meister Eckhart (1260-1328) by the Church was that he taught the people some real stuff. Anybody who has read some of his sermons can attest to him being a true teacher of truth, something that eventually moved the Church to label him a heretic. I have no doubt that the Church's attitude continues to persist in all kind of quarters.