View Single Post
Old 08-08-2017, 03:36 PM
Newbie ;)

Well, I live in Sweden so I'm not sure where in the States is the best place to buy the jun scoby - I know you can get them from Amazon though. I had the hardest time trying to get my hands on one - seems there are only two people in the whole of Sweden who sell them and one has been out of stock for months (I heard there's one company only in the States who produce Jun for commercial sale and they've been broken into several times to have their cultures stolen!!! So precious they are!!)

If you didn't upset the balance of the culture too much it should grow babies eventually - it will grow in a large vessel despite the size of the original scoby - you'll see a very thin slimy film start to form on the top of the liquid. The best way to grow your babies though is to stick the mother in a 'hotel' - preferably around the same circumference of the scoby. Fill it up with prepared kombucha or jun, cover with a cloth as you would if you were making the drink and put it somewhere undisturbed but dark and airy for a few weeks. Keep checking in on it - you should see a baby form on top, you can just tear the two apart when it's sufficiently grown then start brewing again, or just put them back in the hotel to grow more babies.

The scobys are pretty hardy though so I don't think using green tea will have harmed it too much...I'm sure it's still viable, even if it looks ugly now!!