View Single Post
Old 29-12-2017, 05:23 PM
ketzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
"Wretched mind, from us you are taking the evidence by which you would overthrow us? Your victory is your own fall."
DEMOCRITUS

Nice one, ketzer.

The stranger thing is the subjectivity of certainty, and as Bohr also explained, physics doesn't regard the way nature is; it only regards what we can say about nature. (And by 'nature' he means nature as we experience it).

I think what makes that idea so interesting is that nature and how we experience it may be much more intertwined then we once thought. On the one hand we might think we can never actually experience nature as we are forever limited to experiencing the model of nature we create in our minds. Yet inherent in that mind model is the thought that there is a free, objective, and independent physical reality that actually exists out there for us sense and then model in our minds. That assumption is now at least open to question. Perhaps there is no physical reality other than the one we make in our minds. The information we use to construct our physical realities may exist prior to us reading it, but if so, there is nothing to say we would all have to read exactly the same set of information to find ourselves in a common experience. We just need enough scientific information to overlap to feel ourselves to be in a common reality, yet your reality may include such things as elves and gnomes, while mine may lack them and have unicorns instead. Comfortable in my certainty of the existence of unicorns, I may yet scoff at your goofy unproven idea of elves and gnomes.