View Single Post
Old 17-09-2017, 06:51 PM
Master

Yes, there is value in pushing our limitations so we become more comfortable doing longer meditates. These limitations are both physical and mental.

The obvious physical limitations are aches and pains from sitting still and upright for extended periods. Hatha Yoga comes in useful here, to make the body looser and more flexible. In the Raja Yoga system performing asanas is one of the eight steps in preparation for meditation.

We cannot all sit comfortably in a cross-legged position or the half-lotus or the full lotus, but with practice we do improve. I am fortunate in that I can sit comfortably in the full lotus for up to an hour - I once had a go at sitting in the full lotus for two hours, which was an interesting exercise in enduring pain but as meditation it was a waste of time. The purpose of sitting comfortably is that we can then forget about the physical body.

The other physical limitations are hunger and thirst, but sometimes the mind just wants an excuse to interrupt meditation and do something else like have a cup of tea.

Other mental limitations include boredom and frustration, and if we sit for long enough we experience both. It can be a challenge to simply continue sitting, being present with whatever is arising, but eventually we realise that this is just the nature of the mind.

So yes, continue extending the length of meditation and see what happens. For myself, my first year of meditation practice was very difficult as I pushed myself beyond my comfort levels, but then I reached a stage where sitting in meditation was like coming home. Nowadays I don't bother pushing myself so much - I simply meditate because I enjoy it.

Peace.