View Single Post
Old 09-05-2020, 11:56 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaelyn
If I am in mindfulness, it's a bit like someone pointing to a box of ideas (the box is just in their heads) and then asking an opinion about something within that box. For me to answer, I have to go to the box of ideas in my head. But since I am in mindfulness, I have no interest in imagined mental content in this now, so no interest in what is in my box of ideas and no interest in looking in the box for something.

You do have a creative mind that sprouteh into many directions ….
Thinking can also be a tool to create your own private conscious investigation direction …. like turning your own insights into your own mantras to guide your focus ….

I’ll use your box idea ….
There is that saying “Don't buy a pig in a poke”.

If one’s practice is coming from Insight Meditation ‘Sangha’ which has embraced Joseph Goldstein’s method of Mindfulness and his box of Buddhist teachings, why not say so, why veil it, why put the pig in the bag?

I got most of my Buddhist teachings from the controversial Trungpa's books, and I still think what he said is great!

Just like Jehovah’s Witness I’d probably recite Trungpa’s take on mindfulness-in-action like a tape-recorder, but I can’t remember what he said.
It was so very early on - I did put his 'formula' into action though and those mindfulness meditation's produced insights led me onto a path/learning curve of my own. And I don’t think that Trungpa gave ready-made insights in the box for the followers to recite further down the line as their own either.

Plus I do remember a moment in time, when (just like Trungpa had said …. which was something like that the method one uses to purify is like soap – at some time one needs to wash the soap off as well – because at some point the method itself becomes the defilement).

Well, I do have a copy of Trungpa’s book. Wonder how I do feel about it now (?)

But back to pros and cons of mindfulness.

On the positive, well there are plenty of Joseph Goldstein’s videos on the youtube.

On the negative side, there are some articles on can read:
https://www.afr.com/life-and-luxury/...0170827-gy4ygo

https://www.brown.edu/research/labs/...od%20thing.pdf