View Single Post
Old 26-12-2015, 08:07 PM
Newbie ;)

Thank you all for your replies. As for Celtic Shamanism, I'll look it up, but I don't think of myself as specifically Celtic. I am a syncretist - I prefer looking for the God and Goddess in all faiths, which is why I feel comfortable with the idea of taking inspiration from traditions not of my own ancestors. After all, Andrew Chumbley was the founder of the Cultus Sabbati, a group dedicated to the Witch Cult, and he combined stuff from Sufism, Aztec beliefs, and all sorts of things into it.

As for the idea of native spirits of this country being uncomfortable with or harmful towards people of European descent, I don't mean to be rude, but that sounds like a projection resulting from white guilt, a disorder from which I do not suffer. Any spirits of any country will be kind to true seekers who can prove - possibly through sacrifice - that they deserve it and that they care for the spirits and traditions of that land. I intend to prove my worth to the spirits long before I start attempting to seriously interact with them.

Furthermore, the various branches of my family have lived in the American South for several generations now, and it feels, in my blood, like my home - no matter where I go, part of my soul will always be here and will always love this region. I suspect, based on this feeling, that whatever spirits are here know me and accept me, because I would not be able to feel comfortable in this place otherwise. Admittedly I hate the climate, but the land though - the land is wonderful. Also I have always, since childhood, had this feeling of a protective energy, almost a mildly sentient force, around my home and yard that I have felt seems to love and protect my family. I cannot back this intuition up at all, it's just a little feeling, but it's more evidence that I am accepted here, by the land and its soul.

Thunder Bow, could you clarify your statement? I don't understand what you mean when you say, "if you're a shaman you would already know it." I'm aware that for most shamans there is a calling, a shamanic sickness, etc., you're sort of forced into it. However I have never been gifted with any sort of calling. I called myself. I am aware this means my path will be much more difficult, but it is the only worthwhile path for me. I have no interest in Celtic Paganism any more than any other faith, as I see it as only a single manifestation of a universal faith which is interpreted in many ways in many cultures.

As for guidance from experts, unfortunately there is no way I could access such guidance, at least in my present position in life. Perhaps someday. Until then I shall be guided by dreams, visions during meditation (which are not uncommon for me, though never hallucinatory), and other sources of inspiration. I shall not embark on anything like a vision quest until I can be utterly certain that I am ready and that I can achieve it - which will not be for QUITE some time yet. I have a lot of growing, maturing, and self-improving to do before then.