View Single Post
Old 30-07-2018, 12:09 AM
Administrator
Dolls - Creepy Things.....

Hello

There are so many phobias that we can have and while I do not fear them I too do not like them. Even when I as a child I had strict rules in place for how my dolls were kept. Baby Dolls had to always have cloths on, they had to be faced down at bedtime unless they had the moving eyes that closed when layed flat. When I as older Barbies had to be dressed and in their box that I stored them in and it had to be fastened shut with the clasp.

LOL if my Mom put a doll on my dresser I would stuff it in a drawer. I remember my Grandmother went to Jamaica and she brought me back three ornamental dolls a Father Mother and Daughter that were dressed in the traditional wear of the country. They hung on the wall but I never put them up. Those I had a calling too that I would understand better later in my teens. They looked like a "voodoo doll" as I made one of those. Funny how those never bothered me.

When I had my Daughter I got her a doll and she still has it but its more a first baby toy. Later when I would try to give her dolls she so did not even want to touch them. She never had a Barbie never wanted one. She told me the hollow heads held things in them.

I remember my Grandmother saying that a Doll head the Soul of the Dead and that the eyes were the windows to the persons Soul.

I found this most interesting in looking at the history of a doll.

"A doll is a figure of a human being (or sometimes of an animal) used most often as a children’s toy, in magic and religious rituals. There are documents that prove that dolls were use in Ancient Egypt, Greece and Rome. They were made from materials that were available like clay, stone, wood, bone, ivory, leather or wax... There is also archaeological evidence that dolls were oldest known toys.

Wooden paddle dolls are one of the oldest dolls found. They were discovered in ancient Egyptian tombs that date from 2000BC. Their purpose is not entirely clear. Ancient Greek dolls with articulate limbs date from 200BC and documents from 100BC show dolls as children’s toys. Romans made dolls from clay, wood, ivory or rags. They were found in children’s graves dressed according to the latest fashions. Newly wed Greek and Roman girls would give their doll to Goddess. Some dolls had multiple roles. They were children's playthings but they would also participate in rituals or used in children's education. Some dolls were never given to the children because it was believed that they are too charged with magical powers."

What are your thoughts on dolls. Also if we do not like dolls as a Mother does that influence maybe go to our unborn daughters ? Even if we follow the normal doctrines of getting one for them.

Lynn