View Single Post
Old 29-06-2019, 11:44 AM
ketzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
It's not a particularly simple thing, ...
It's not a particularly simple thing, perhaps simple in principle, but a complex nuance in practice, because for things to work things have to be done properly and a delicate way, to build a layer on a layer. You don't have to be good at the technicalities to make it in this game. You really only have to be easy to get along with, and there are a lot of shonky trainers making fortunes because they have charismatic appeal (who I'm struggling to refrain from naming).
Quite true. Humans are a social species, and in the end the old adage that it is not what you know but who you know is true, at least to a certain extent. We humans depend on each other to survive and thrive and so there are clear benefits to popularity. Of course there can be a price to pay as well, the whole "rich man, camel, and the eye of the needle” thing.

It is simple to not make the investment and then be indifferent to how it turns out, but the complexity is when you put a lot in and how it turns out really matters to you, when it really does matter! I know spiritual people will think about it in an abstract sense and think there is a solution, but there is no solution; on the contrary, there is only dealing with uncertainties and managing all the bits and pieces that would otherwise be a mess all up in the air. At the bottom of the issue it is organisation and being orderly.

Couldn’t that be considered a solution? When crossing a pond or lake we can often see the other side before we set out. But when crossing an Ocean, we most often cannot, so the sailor must navigate and trust that their instruments and charts will get them safely to the other side.
Being composed and clear in the mind, having all your ducks in a row, and being abreast of the big picture as you take care of the minutiae.

Very true. When the destination is in sight, it is easy to find one’s way. But when it is not, one must study the landscape and carefully apply the map and compass. Yet many still get lost even with the map and compass because they panic and make mistakes, even when they knew better. I even know someone who uses GPS and still gets lost. They get flustered because nothing looks right to them. They decide the GPS just can’t be right, and so go a different way.
Quote:
“Your mind is like this water, my friend. When it is agitated, it becomes difficult to see. But if you allow it to settle, the answer becomes clear.” Grand Master Oogway
Look at that, I got to use that quote twice in two days, that Oogway is certainly no shonky tortoise.