View Single Post
Old 26-03-2019, 07:40 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem

I'm convinced that people can have healthy vegan lives, but nutritional principles don't change. 1. you need enough calories 2. You need ample protein, you need fat, and carbs make up the caloric shortfall 3. You need vitamins and minerals (micronutrients). 4. Meal timimg distributes nutrients through out the day. 5. Vegans need B12 supplements and most people could use supplements to make up any shortfalls in the whole food diet.

If you are herbivous or omnivorous then you use different foods to make up your nutrients, but the body simply needs enough calories with a complete nutient profile according to your lifestyle. The rest is nonsense.

I'd agree with all this......if you live in a modern country with access to everything you need food and or supplement wise....and you are lucky enough to have a metabolism that can handle it...most people don't.....a vegan diet can absolutely work.

In most places around the world though....you'd simply become slowly malnourished on a vegan diet and get sick.

I'm reminded of a something I saw published by Michael Houston PHD, Professor Emeritus of the University of Texas Health Science center concerning veganism where he wrote "Perhaps 10 to 15 percent of the world wide human population have a metabolism that can be successful being completely free of animal products in there diet"

Maybe we're all here because we ain't all there????

If you're lucky enough to have been born in TEXAS....you're lucky enough!