View Single Post
Old 26-03-2019, 03:31 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
I'm convinced that people can have healthy vegan lives, but nutritional principles don't change. 1. you need enough calories 2. You need ample protein, you need fat, and carbs make up the caloric shortfall 3. You need vitamins and minerals (micro-nutrients). 4. Meal timing distributes nutrients through out the day. 5. Vegans need B12 supplements and most people could use supplements to make up any shortfalls in the whole food diet.

I mostly agree with what is said here. In regards to B12 I like to point out my own views and experiences. And they are my own views in the same way that I would not tell anyone what to do or to eat.

I am past 71, play tennis comp, and walk. 2-3 times a week 10km, and I average around 7km/h, on my last walk I got to 7.3km/h.
I never worried about B12, still don't, but I became curious after a discussion on this forum a little wile ago, what my B12 level is. I asked my HS which is my guide at this point. It told me, my level is adequate. Which to me mean, it is not ideal but just enough. So I tried to find out how I can raise my B12 level without using supplements.

The only supplements I use is C60 and Turmeric.
Dry fungi somewhat

fresh mushrooms from the store almost nothing
fresh vegetable from my own garden little

dry yeast flake great source

Now I use more dry yeast flakes, and dry fungi I use all the time anyway. Great food source, at least for me. My digestive system loves them.
Over the time my B12 went from adequate to mid-level, according to my HS.
When I read articles on this subject, I get the feeling, everyone has to tow the official line, which says, vegans have to supplement, without risking professional execution.