View Single Post
Old 11-02-2018, 03:24 AM
Guide

Actually this does make sense for an issue in real life. Someone I know is going through a tough time and I do my best to be supportive without sacrificing my own boundaries and such. Like it is ok to have compassion without getting swallowed by someone else's problems they have to face. And to be honest, it is a bad situation for them, and I feel for them, because a lot of what is happening is not their fault (someone did them wrong), but I also see where they are screwing up in reaction to the situation. Its depression. It is real it happens and I understand why this person does what they do. I've been there, and I get it. When they ask questions, I answer them, when they ask for advice, I give it. But that is where it ends. I won't get angry if they don't take the advice, and I am not going to be mean to them when they screw up. But I am also not going to be their mother, you know?

However, someone else who was once a friend to them took a different route. They cut this person off completely, refused to talk to them (in response to someone doing them wrong), and have actively taken a part in making situations worse for the depressed person. They have seen my compassion to the depressed person and have given me similar treatment, sans doing what they can to make my life worse. I think they can sense that I won't let someone harm me this way. But I am also not in the midst of a depression and am not in a reactive state, and am making sure I have my stuff together, so to speak.

In short, I have compassion for what someone is going through, but I am not going to let their problem be my problem. And the added problem of someone being intolerant of their misery is not something I want to get involved in either. That person made their choice, which is sad but whatever, its their decision.