Thread: Playing In Dirt
View Single Post
Old 25-05-2018, 05:41 PM
Master

That's the first time I've heard of egg shells as a deterent for slugs. Did not know they would not cross over them. Learned something new.

Lol, if your strawberry plants were in my yard I'd blame it on my ducks. I'm sure that isn't your problem. Just a funny. Maybe birds or squirrels? I've heard you can deter birds by using strips of something, like rubber that would resemble snakes (or buy some toy snakes). But the key is you have to move them all the time. Otherwise the birds catch on. I've used poles, oh about 2-3 feet tall with strips of (I use) old sheet tied on to the top. When the wind moves it moves the strips of cloth and deters anything looking down. Don't know if it would work for squirrels though.

I've never tried it but I've heard tying old CD's to a string and hanging them allowing them to move in the breeze works too. Just throwing some ideas out there for you rainbow.

The 10 tomatoes I transplanted 3 days ago are doing good. I've heard when you transplant something you need to keep it out of direct sun for a few days because they are photosensitive. I did and today I put them back in the sun for a few hours until it started getting really hot (remember, mine are in pots and being toured around in a wagon). Now they are relaxing under shade trees with partial sun. I have noticed new growth already since I transplanted them. They are happy with their new homes!

Rhubarb seeds I planted are not doing well. They got hit by some direct sun yesterday for maybe 30 minutes total, and I lost 3 of them even though they were under shade trees. I just went on Etsy and bought some 3-6 inch rhubarb plants. I'm done messing with the seeds! I want some rhubarb by next year!