View Single Post
Old 17-05-2020, 10:50 AM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivani Devi
For me personally, meditating in bed has another name....Yoga Nidra.

The only pitfall about meditating in bed, is that there is a tendency to become so relaxed that one can easily fall asleep...which is what the body and mind probably needed anyway.

If the practitioner can remain aware while the body and mind sleeps, this leads into the state called Turiya, which is neither waking consciousness nor the dreaming state.

In my experience, if your body and nervous system really need to sleep, yes, you will fall asleep even while sitting. But if you're 'on the fence', you will fall asleep while lying down and you will fall into a deep meditative state while sitting. Also, turyia is deeper while sitting. I have never seen any exception to this. Now I know very little about yoga nidra but it seems it is not meditation per se: "The goals of both yogic paths, yoga nidra and meditation are the same, a state of meditative consciousness called samadhi." (source: wikipedia's page about yoga nidra).

And of course,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivani Devi
Yes, I fully realise and understand that meditating in bed is "not recommended" by the majority of meditation teachers and practitioners, but if there is anything life has taught me (especially lately) it is to question all of those recommendations with regards to personal necessity and experience and yes, to even go against what the majority says if it simply "does not apply"....then one is pretty much on their own and yet one can find their own answers within instead of accepting the advice and recommendations of others at face value this way.
this is fully true.