Thread: Dissociation
View Single Post
Old 29-11-2017, 09:45 PM
Deactivated Account
I have much experience of dissociation myself over the years. This was due to childhood trauma. I actually only started reconnecting with my physical body over the last 5 years or so.... where I could feel parts of my soul essence actually descend and make itself comfortable in my physical body.
It was the first time in my whole life where I remember 'feeling in my body'.

The single best excercise which I have recieved from a psychologist was to notice my body and my surroundings and name 5 things which I can see in my environment and 5 things I can feel on my body - for example feeling my arms and legs resting on the chair and my feet resting on the floor - my trousers touching my legs, things like that.

I found this excercise alone to be tremendously helpful.
Even just spending time looking at my hands or feet and wriggling my toes or noticing my breath started to help me to reconnect with my body.

My psychologist said that dissociation is quite common especially in people who have experienced trauma of some sort. It is a coping mechanism and but once the danger has passed it has become a learned habit and the tendency is to remain in the state until one feels safe to start processing the trauma.